Tuesday 16 February 2016

Back to Restoration....after a bit of a pause.

July 2014.

So, after a pause in activity since 2008 I have restarted my project.  Those of you who have read since I started will remember that my brother was moving out of his house hence I was no longer able to use his drive.  So either the car needed to be scrapped (too much sentiment and calls of 'I told you so' from pals) or brought up to my new house.

So up to the new house it was then, however you may also remember that the car only had two wheels and no back axle!  I had attempted an axle build before and failed miserably (lack of tools...honest) so I elected to purchase a refurbished bare axle from the folks at http://omanmechanicalsolutions.co.uk.  Great service and competitive price.  My new axle started its life as a Partner Van axle I think, as the bump stop bolts were 12mm rather than 10mm like the 405.

Axle as delivered 

 Old axle ready for exchange.

 Car as it stands.  None of those weeds were there when I took the axle off!!

 Unwrapping the axle.  Nice fresh paint.  Seems a shame to put it under a car where no one can see it! :)

 More unwrapping

 More unwrapping

 Old and new.  Height difference is due to grass.  See below.

 Comparison of old and new axle heights.  They seem to match.

 New and refurbished parts to fit to axle.

Ready to receive axle.

Next stage is to build the new axle up with refurbished parts and new bearings.  Will do this in my garage at home and bring the axle back down when its ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment