Sunday 14 February 2016

Adventures under the back of the car - Part 2

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:06 AM
I have been a bit quiet recently but have got some work done in the mean time.


Last weekend I managed to get the underside seam sealed. Not managed to get any pics off the camera for that though. Did not have my own camera but I will try and fill them in later on.

Also had a go at stripping the rear axle. Managed to get the anti roll bar off pretty easily. Failed at the next hurdle though. Could not get the trailing arms off. Gave up in the end. What it did prove to me was that the trailing arms still move and there is no play that I can feel in the bearings. Will clean the axle up and paint it. Again no pics here.

Was rained off yesterday but today I had a fairly productive day. Got the underside rear fully coated in underseal. Just painted it on nice and thick and I think it came out great. Here's some pics.


Underseal 

More underseal.

Even more underseal.

I mentioned before that I had to replace the rear hubs for ABS units so I can get my ABS working again. I had pulled of the hubs a few weeks ago and set about removing the inner bearing race and cap today. Pretty easy job. The way I did it was to grind a small groove in the race with my dremel and then whack it with a chisel and hammer to get the bearing to crack. Then it just pulls off. The pics will show you what I mean.

Inner race on stub axle

Cut a groove in the race with a dremel.

Whack it with a hammer

 Once the race is off prise off the dust cap.

This also allowed me to remove the brake shield so I can clean and paint it.

Rusty and dirty brake shield.

Hopefully I will get into cleaning up the axle this weeks so I can start painting it. If it ends up needing an axle at some point in the future I will end up paying for it to be done I think. Getting the trailing arms off looks like a nightmare!!

Posted 26 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

Got back down to the car again tonight. Have had a bit of a saga with my 406 that has prevented me getting near the 405  Still its all fixed now and I can get on again with the 405.

Checked out my undersealing job tonight and was very happy indeed with the results. Thats great stuff and dries fairly smooth. Put another coat on tonight for good measure. No pics I am afraid but it looks like those above only blacker !! 

Was having a look at this beam again tonight. It does not look like it has any play in it the wrong way and looking again at the pic I posted earlier I remembered that the car was jacked up so will look abit strange. So I think this is where my skill and patience ends. The trailing arms seem free enough so I am going to put it back together, paint it and hope for the best.

So this weekend its beam cleaning and painting for me. I also have to order some fixing bolts etc from Pug. Hope the weather is good.

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:09 PM
Time for a quick update.
I have been a little busy with other things recently so the 405 has not been getting as much attention as I would have liked. Still, I have managed to clean up the rear beam and am in the process of giving it a nice coat of paint before it goes back on.

I don't have any painted pics yet but here's how it looked after I cleaned all the grime and underseal off it.


 Cleaned beam

 Closeup

Another closeup

I have stuck with the original colours so I have painted the centre tube yellow, arms black and torsion bars red with the anti roll bar black. I have even been sad and painted yellow stripes on the torsion bars

Will take some pics next time I am down.

Plan after that is to start rebuilding the beam components, brakes, compensator valve etc in preparation for getting it back on the car.

Oh and I also need to get a easy out that I got stuck in a knackered bolt out. Probably the hardest thing I have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment