Tuesday 3 October 2017

Preparing Engine for removal

The engine has been largely disconnected for a while now, but in order for me to dress the engine bay, refurb the engine, sort out subframe and address corrosion on the main support rails in the engine bay, the engine has to come out.  I don't have an engine crane or a stand but a friend has offered to loan me them.  I therefore spent some time today getting the engine more or less ready to come out.

 Todays starting position

 Removed engine water box

 Reasonably clean inside.

 Gear linkage removal

 Gear linkage off - These look like I would be best just repacing with new.  They are reasonably cheap on ebay.  These are ok though, a wee bit worn and just really dirty.

 Fancied a look under the cam cover

 Remarkably clean - This was a refurbished head but I had worried that 8+ years without moving may have resulted in corrosion.  I turned the engine over by hand at this point to ensure everything moved ok.  It did!

 Exhaust Manifold off.  I had painted this before it went on the last time but it has not lasted well at all.  I probably never cured the paint problem as it nearly run.

 Rear water manifold and hoses.  These are a bit crusty.  I'll try and replace as much as I can.  There are a few nice options for the 205 Gti and the 405Mi16 but not for the Sri.  I bet I could use hoses from both kits. Will probably give Baker BM a phone at some point.

Engine ready to come out.  Only held on by 2 engine mounts and a trolley jack.

 Rear engine view - Driveshaft still to come out.

 Waterbox

 Drivers side wing ready to be stripped.

 Strut out - Like the passenger side time has not been kind, even though the car has barely moved.

Inner wing - Drivers side.


 Long driveshaft - Bearing is a bit tight but not feeling particularly worn.  Shaft and boots could do with a spruce up.  Looking at pricesfor parts vs a replacement it looks like a replacement will be cheaper than an overhaul.

Aluminium parts - I have sent these to be vapour blasted.  Have never done this before but I have been impressed by the results I have seen from others.  Lets see how they go.

That's the lot for now.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment