Sunday 1 October 2017

Bumper Teardown

So I decided to have a go at tearing the bumper down a little more.  It needs a bit of work doing to it and a repaint.  You may remember that the stiffener was very corroded also.  Here are some pics of my process.

The bumper as it had came off the car. 


 On this pic you can see that the stiffener is held onto the bumper via some melted plastic tabs.

I used my heat gun to soften the tabs and pry the stiffener off from the bumper. 

 Coming off.

 And its off.  You can see in this shot the headlight washers and the bumper absorbers are still attached.

 Bare bumper.  Its alot lighter and less stiff now.

 Bumper absorber attached to stiffener.

 Headlight Washers off - I have a new one for the broken side.

 Absorbers off.  The stiffener looks way worse than it actually is from a corrosion perspective.  It was originally galvanised.  I will have it sand blasted and paint with some zinc primer and possibly epoxy paint.
Bumper absorbers.  Note the sheared fasteners.  These are the ones I broke when removing the bumper from the car.   These are NFP from Peugeot and new ones are £100+ on ebay so I thought I would have a go at refurbishing these.


Closeup of sheared faster.  Its plastic welded into the absorbers. 



 Heatgun used to melt plastic and remove brackets.

 Melt melt....
 Off it comes
 I have tried to retain as much of the original plastic as I could to aid refitting.




Brackets are corroded.  Its mostly surface rust though.  Looks like they were originally zinc plated.


Into a bath of Deox C

After first 24hr dip. 


After second dip and wire brush.  Turned out pretty good.

I need to get the fasteners drilled out and new ones welded in.  I reckon a normal bolt with a bit of weld will do.  I will then get the lot electroplated and re-attached to the absorber.

Job for another day though..

James

No comments:

Post a Comment