Saturday 31 March 2018

More Electroplating

I had a little more free time today so I had a go at plating some more parts.  Firstly here is how yesterdays bracket looked today.

I like the rainbow effect you get.  This only appeared after the part had dried for a bit.  There are a couple of areas that are a little rough to the touch.

You can see on the top of the part an area that looks a little dull (scraped?) compared with the rest of the part.  Still, large areas were very good.

Close up on remaining corrosion.  Whilst much better than when I started with this part it should all be gone.  I will need to treat this further.  Happy with this as a first attempt though.  I have since did a little more research and learned that wire wool can be used prior to degreasing to smooth out rough patches.  It also seems important to tackle all rust before plating.  I made up a tank of Deox C and will ensure all parts get a dip in this to clear any corrosion before plating.

Parts I am going to plate today.  These are a mix of starter bolts and some brackets from the engine.

Starter Bolts.  You can see the original plate is still in good condition on most of it, but the heads are corroded.  Hopefully this will mean some good results.

 In Deox C to start with.

Cleaned then in plating tank.  

After plating

 After Yellow Passivate dip.

 Finished parts


To say I am impressed is an understatement.  I did not expect to get such a nice finish so quickly.  I expected to have to muck about with settings etc to get it right.  The parts look brand new!!  One thing I learned today was that temperature is very important.  I have heaters in the plating tank and Alkaline bath, but the Deox C once it had cooled down from the initial mix slowed down massively.  I think I need to buy another tank heater (or move to Spain!).  Additionally I gave the heads of the bolts a wee rub with the wire wool before cleaning and this did take a layer of scale off.  I think this has made a big difference.  I currently have a nice pump pulley steeping in Deox C.  This responded well to the wire wool but Deox being a bit slow means I wont get a plate on that today.  Maybe tomorrow if Easter does not get in the way too much.

James

No comments:

Post a Comment